Saturday, September 10, 2011

Big Day!!


It's baptism day!!  We are so happy that Millie has decided to follow Jesus and is taking this step to publicly share her decision.

I remember a snowy December evening in 2007, just a week or so after my mom had passed away, when Zane prayed to ask Jesus into his heart (we had recently had lots of discussions about Grandma and heaven).  Millie (like any typical younger sister), repeated all of the words that Zane prayed.  We were eagerly awaiting Daddy's return from work so that we could share the good news.  As soon as we heard the garage door, though, Millie raced to the door ahead of everyone else.  With the enthusiasm of a player who'd just scored a Superbowl touchdown, she threw her arms in the air and shouted, "I'M GOING TO HEAVEN!!"  I was pretty sure that as an almost 4 year old she didn't fully comprehend what Zane had done, but she was adamant that she had.  

Fast-forward to 7 years old...One Sunday morning Millie prayed with her Sunday School leaders and this time we were sure that she understood what she was doing.  It was just a couple of months later that she decided that she wanted to be baptized.  This is what Millie wrote about her decision (this is the testimony that I'll read this morning just before she's baptized): "I want to be baptized today because I love God and I want to live for Him.  I think that being baptized will show others that I love God and will remind me every day to read my Bible and do what He wants me to do.  A Bible verse that is special to me is I Corinthians 1:9: 'God, who has called you into fellowship with His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful.'  To me, this verse means that God wants me to be in His group of friends and that He will never leave me out."

As a parent, there are several things that I'm thankful for today:
  • Jesus' love for each of us, especially for Millie
  • Traci, who has a genuine love for kids and who is baptizing Millie this morning 
  • Family sharing in this special day 
  •  A church family that is passionate about helping my kids follow Jesus
For me, the sorrowful part of today is that my mom isn't here to share in it, but I think it is super special that Millie has her own cheering section rejoicing from heaven--led by Grandma, Great Grandpa Larson, and Uncle Garry, I'm sure!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment