Sunday, October 23, 2011

Project: Grandpa's Deck

Grandpa finally agreed to let us come and help put a small deck on the back of his house (you know, so that it will be safe to open the back door!!)  Since Quinn and Matt spent a week building decks/porches on their workcamp this summer, they were deemed "mostly qualified" to help with this task.  We ALL ended up helping in one way or another...hauling materials, measuring, cutting, hammering, and tightening bolts.  We did it all!!  Thursday was VERY rainy, so all that really was accomplished was getting the materials, but by Saturday night we had met Matt's goal.  We got far enough that Grandpa can easily (verdict still out on exactly HOW easy it will be) lay the decking and put the rails up.  Here we go...from start to finish:
Marking out the spot

Side trip to the Dexter Cider Mill


Apple "mash"

Pressing the cider


Drilling the holes

Clara hard at work

A game of Mille Bournes after a long workday

Starting to look like something!!

Done!!

2 comments:

  1. What a great family project! Lucky Grandpa!! I love the stone fireplace. I do not love Mille Bournes. Although, what I dislike is that you can end up stuck doing nothing forever, which after a day of hard work could be a good thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I am a very fortunate Grandpa ! First to have such a great family, second for their willingness to use their fall break to work on my project and also for their patients with the "old guy" during construction
    decisions :-)

    I know it was a fun weekend for me and I am extremely thankful !

    Grandpa

    ReplyDelete