Another school year is coming to an end today. Every year brings lots of learning, both for the kids and for their parents. I have learned a few things this year (in no particular order):
1-Sometimes backing off yields greater results than pushing harder (translation: we did not fight over spelling this year...we just used spelling city. My kids did not do that well in spelling. But they did no worse (and maybe a little better) than they did last year with tears weekly.
2-There are days I will want to dis-own my teenager as a hopeless cause, and others when I am floored by a glimpse of maturity of thought and action. Don't give up.
3-I will always know more about Millie's day than anyone else's.
4-There is nothing quite as sweet as the hour or hour and a half I spend each week praying with other moms for our kids. I don't know how I would have made it through the year without those ladies.
5-There are never guarantees that a decision will be the "right" one. But Quinn and Clara went back to a traditional middle school...one with a not-so-great reputation and facing some serious academic issues. But despite all the negatives we faced going into the year, we came out with so many positives! I had the chance to spend a lot of time volunteering at the middle school...to see the many great teachers and staff who really do care about middle schoolers (hard to believe, I know). They had a principal who isn't afraid to keep those kids accountable for their actions and their wardrobe choices. Quinn and Clara both had great years--as much as they liked the freedom of our quasi-homeschooling years, they both like this year better. Good can come out of something even when everyone around you thinks it's going to be nothing but bad.
6-Quinn can run...not fast, but he didn't give up...not ever...and he made great improvements this year. I'm proud of him!!
I'm sure I learned more than that, but those are my thoughts this morning before I rush off to the last-day-of-school awards ceremonies and parties. Thankful for a great year.
And now, for those who aren't on Facebook (dad), here is the link to the school year album I've been adding to all year.
15--Do a service project together as a family (List #17)
-
When I put this on my list back in December, I envisioned my family doing
something like helping with our church's work at a local elementary school,
or he...
13 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment