Sunrise over the lake
Click here for more pictures from our trip
We took a day to drive up to northern Indiana to pick blueberries (yum!) and have had many delicious blueberry dishes since then. When I talked to my aunts about picking blueberries with kids, they laughed about their own kids referring to it as some sort of torture. I'm sure Quinn and Zane would agree. They were so excited about it before we went, but they turned into some of the whiniest kids I've ever seen while we were there. The kids also did a week of Vacation Bible School and loved it. It is cool to hear them all singing the songs they learned (and doing the sign language, too). Even today in the van, 2 weeks later, Zane was talking about the Bible stories they learned. I think one of the favorite highlights for Clara was walking on water and for Quinn it was watching Mentos explode in Diet Coke (don't ask me how that applies to a Bible story).
Quinn, Clara, Matt and I went to Chicago for a day to explore Hyde Park and Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House. We were first inspired to go see it after we read an awesome book by Blue Balliet entitled The Wright 3. If you're looking for a book for your 8-12 year old, this one is great. It's the 2nd in a series about 3 friends who live in Hyde Park and go to the middle school on the campus of the University of Chicago. We had a great afternoon visiting the used book store mentioned in the book, eating at the bakery, walking around the campus and touring the house. Here are our pictures from Chicago.
We are continuing work on our basement and have made a little bit of progress in the last week...finally! We are spending lots of time at the neighborhood pool and are gearing up (some more reluctantly than others) for the start of school in 2 weeks. I can't believe that school starts August 12! What happened to starting after Labor Day? Matt continues to stay busy working at BOTH of his jobs. He is working hard at his new company and is devoting one whole day (plus various early mornings and late evenings) to it. He has been able to play golf a few times recently and is hoping to play lots more before cold weather moves in. He finally has the guitar he has been wanting for several years--making quite a nice birthday gift for him! He is hoping to start lessons this fall. We are in for a huge change as I start a new job! I will be the choral accompanist and assistant for Music Theory at Lawrence North High School. So if you don't see another update to this blog for a while, you know why. :o) The nice part is that I'm in the same district as the kids so our calendars will be the same. The high school is right outside our neighborhood (close enough to walk if I want), so I couldn't ask for a better set-up. I wasn't really looking for a full-time job, but this sounds so suited to me that I just have to give it a try.
We hope you all enjoy your last days (or weeks if you're reading from Minnesota!) of summer...
Here are some final odds and ends pictures from July.
Matt, Janette, Quinn, Clara, Zane and Millie
No comments:
Post a Comment