Pictures from Day 4 of our trip
We spent the day at Mt. Rushmore on Saturday. We had been there the night before, but didn't spend the time we wanted to, so we headed back there. We opted to try the audio tour, which Matt and I have done at both Alcatraz and the Statue of Liberty...I highly recommend it. Millie fizzled out about 2/3 of the way through (how much information can a 5 year old really take in at once anyway, right?) But the other kids listened through all of the stations. It forced us to stop and take in the different views around us and learn some things that we wouldn't have by just reading signs. Things like:
Matt: Borglum wanted a Hall of Records in the back of Lincoln's head. It wasn't finished when the sculpture was completed in 1941, but was finally finished in 1998.
Janette: Workers at the sculpture couldn't clock in until AFTER they had climbed up the mountain and they had to clock out before they headed back down. The trip up and down each day was on their own time. No one died during construction of Mt. Rushmore
Quinn: Washington's nose is 20 ft. long
Clara: I will remember the Audio Tour walk along the Presidential Trail
Zane: Teddy Roosevelt's mustache is 20 feet long
Millie: Abe Lincoln was carved with a beard
After a huge hailstorm we went back to the room to rest for a while. We were all excited about the Chuckwagon dinner! You'll just have to check out the pictures and hopefully get a taste for how much fun we had. Here are the things we'll remember about the Chuckwagon dinner:
1. I love Mt. Rushmore. I could go there every year, twice, once during the day and once at night.
ReplyDelete2. Where did you go to get a chuckwagon dinner with STEAK??
3. I love that you recorded everyone's observations of the things you did! So fun.
4. You enabled your feed. YEA! Now I can keep up with you. :-)
The Chuckwagon dinner was at the Blue Bell Lodge at Custer State Park. They took us on a wagon ride along the wildlife loop--probably a 45 minute ride. Then we had that awesome dinner and the ride back was short (15 minutes or so). I would highly recommend it. A little pricey, but it was our reward for no one complaining about eating sandwiches, chips and fruit out of the cooler every day for lunch and having pop tarts and granola bars for breakfast :o)
ReplyDeleteHa! That sounds exactly like our vacation lunches. Unfortunately we eat a lot of dinners out of that same cooler. I've heard of that dinner before, and I will keep it in mind next time!
ReplyDelete