Monday, April 19, 2010

Ewww....

We were getting dressed this morning and trying to get everything
ready for our day trip to Valparaiso. I told the kids to make sure to
get their water bottles and then went to my room to finish getting
ready. Not even a minute later I heard Clara crying. She came in
holding a Dixie cup, still bawling. "I just took a drink from my water
bottle and then this was in my mouth and my tongue really, really
hurts!" she managed to tell me. I looked at what she had. On further
inspection it became clear what it was...

That's right! As disgusting and unbelievable as it is, yes, a spider bit her tongue. After a couple minutes we realized it was still alive and I snapped this picture. Poor Clara--she put an ice cube on it and took an ibuprofen. I didn't see any redness or anything and I didn't remember anything from my limited first aid training about what to do in the event of a spider bite on the tongue. It took an hour or so but it finally quit hurting. We have no idea if it was IN or ON the water bottle.
As we were leaving home she said, "Well, I guess if I were a spider and someone tried to drink me I'd probably bite them, too." Why in the world she decided to feel bad for the spider, I don't know.

What a day!!

4 comments:

  1. In her mouth??? I would cry too. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! I probably would have thrown up. She handled it much better than I would have. For some reason the end of my post didn't show up. Read the rest of the story :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omigosh! Poor Clara! I bet she'll never take a drink without inspecting the cup/bottle again - I don't think I will either - blech! I've never heard of a spider bite on the tongue - gives me goosebumps. What a sweetie to feel for the spider! How is she today?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww! Poor girl! I hope she is doing okay now. I always worry about getting stung by a bee whenever I have an open soda can outside.

    ReplyDelete